We were founded in Berkeley, California in 1952. The Seminary’s history extends to the Pacific Theological Seminary, established in Portland, Oregon in 1910, before moving to Seattle in 1914.
Seminary in the West
Like our predecessors, we were instituted to meet the needs of Lutheran congregations in the West—a frontier context in which tradition must be renewed and cultivated within rapidly changing cultural settings.
During the 1960s we began enriching our educational resources through cooperative institutional ventures. In 1962, with other Protestant and Roman Catholic seminaries and the University of California, Berkeley, we founded the Graduate Theological Union. In 1963 we formalized our relationship with the American Lutheran Church. By 1985 we were jointly operated by the American Lutheran Church, the Lutheran Church in America, and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches.
Territory of Service
Today we are the only ELCA seminary in the western half of the United States. Covering 13 states, our territory of service includes nearly two-thirds of the country.
Still a young seminary we retain institutional agility. As we have for fifty years, we continue to fine-tune curriculum and community, responding to the changing demands of today’s ministries.