- Professor of Systematic Theology
- GTU Core Doctoral Faculty
- Co-Editor, Theology and Science
- Director, Institute for Theology and Ethics
- (510) 559-2734
I define “The Gospel” as telling the story of Jesus with its significance. Our task in this third millennium is to tell this story in such a way that the people of our emerging post-modern culture will perceive its significance for them.
BA, Michigan State University; MDiv, Trinity Lutheran Seminary; MA, University of Chicago; PhD, University of Chicago; DHL, Wittenberg University (USA) and Lund University (Sweden)
Brief Professional History
Assistant Professor, Newberry College; Associate Professor, Loyola University; pastorates in Illinois and New York. PLTS, 1978–
Select Special Service
Core Doctoral Faculty; Convener for Systematic and Philosophical Theology; Appointments and Review Committee; Research Professor at the Center for Theology and the Natural Sciences; 2009 Martin E. Marty Professor of Religion and the Academy, St. Olaf College.
Member ELCA Task Force on Genetics for 2011 Churchwide Assembly; speaker at the 2007 ELCA Convocation of Teaching Theologians; recipient of the Fredrik Schiotz Distinguished Presidential Fellowship, 1984.
Member of the Scientific and Medical Accountability Standards Working Group of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine; consultant and research presenter for the Islamic Organization of Medical Sciences.
Research and Program Grants:
- Program Director, CTNS Science and Religion Course Project, 1998–2002. John Templeton Foundation ($16,600,000)
- Project Director, CTNS-Templeton Foundation University Lectures, 1995–1999; series one and two ($375,000)
- Principal Investigator, “Theological Questions Raised by Human Genome Initiative,” National Institutes of Health grant HG00487, at CTNS, 1991–1995 ($450,000).
- Research, “Religion, Culture and Family Project,” University of Chicago. Lilly institutional grant, at PLTS 1993–1994 ($30,000).
- with Karen Lebacqz and Gaymon Bennett, Sacred Cells? Why Christians Should Support Stem Cell Research. Roman and Littlefield, 2008.
- The Evolution of Terrestrial and Extraterrestrial Life: Where in the World is God? Pandora Press and the Australian Theological Forum, 2008.
- The Stem Cell Debate. Fortress Press, 2007.
- Anticipating Omega. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2006.
- with Martinez Hewlett, Can You Believe in God and Evolution? Abindgon 2006.
- with Martinez Hewlett, Evolution: From Creation to New Creation. Abingdon 2003. Templeton Book of Distinction Award 2005.
- Science, Theology, and Ethics. Ashgate, 2003.
- Playing God? Genetic Determinism and Human Freedom. Routledge, 1997, 2nd ed. 2002. Templeton Book of Distinction Award, 2003.
- GOD—The World’s Future: Systematic Theology for a Postmodern Era. Fortress Press, 1992; 2nd edition, 2000. Korean translation by Se-Hyoung Lee, Concordia-Sa, Seoul, Korea 2006.
- For the Love of Children: Genetic Technology and the Future of the Family. Westminster/John Knox Press, 1996
- Sin: Radical Evil in Soul and Society. Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1994
- God as Trinity: Relationality and Temporality in Divine Life. Westminster/John Knox Press, 1993. Translated into Korean
- with Julie Froehlig, Peters ETI Religious Crisis Survey of 2008.
- with Nathan Hallanger, God’s Action in Nature’s World. Aldershot UK: Ashgate 2006.
- with Niels Henrik Gregersen, Bo Holm, and Peter Widman, The Gift of Grace: The Future of Lutheran Theology. Fortress, 2005.
- with Muzafar Iqbal and Nomen Haq, God, Life, and the Cosmos: Islamic and Christian Perspectives, Ashgate 2002. Tr. Indonesian Bahassa: Tuhan, Alam, Manusia: Perspektif Sains dan Agama. Bandung: Logo Mizan Kronik, 2005.
- with Robert John Russell and Michael Welker, Resurrection: Theological and Scientific Assessments, Eerdmans 2002.
- with Gaymon Bennett and Kang Phee Seng, Bridging Science and Religion. English: SCM Press 2002 and Fortress Press 2003. Translated into 5 other languages
- Co-Editor with Robert John Russell, Theology and Science