Students are encouraged to bring their own computers and mobile devices to campus. All incoming students will be required to purchase Bible software; information will be given out during the course Introduction to Old Testament.
Campus Technology Requirements
All students use technology throughout their time at PLTS. The following are some tools and specifications for both residential and online students.
- Moodle is the learning management system, which is designed to simply require basic web browsing skills.
- Additional web tools include Skype and VoiceThread, which require a little more skill but plenty of web-based support is provided.
- Recommended PC Specifications:
- Windows XP or higher
- Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz processor
- Recommended Mac Specifications:
- Mac OS X v.10.5.8 (Leopard) or newer
- 1 GHz Intel processor
- Webcam, speakers and microphone (or headset)
- Minimum internet bandwidth for home: 4Mbps down/512Kbps up
- Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome is the recommended web browsers
- Microsoft Word and PowerPoint (see below)
- Accordance Bible software (you will receive information on discount purchasing when take Introduction to Old Testament)
- Anti-virus software
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
- Windows Media Player or QuickTime (optional)
Wireless Internet Access
Most of the PLTS campus is covered by wireless internet, and coverage/bandwidth is increasing. Wireless internet is accessible in all classroom and common areas (Giesy Classrooms 1 and 2, Great Hall, Sawyer Commons, Sawyer Vaulted Classroom, Chapel, Chapel Classroom). Wireless internet is also available in the Beasom student residence.
Free Microsoft Office 365
As an extension of Cal Lutheran’s campus agreement with Microsoft, Office 365 is now available free of charge to all Cal Lutheran students for use on personal devices.
What is included in Office 365?
- Office 2013 for PC
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Office apps for Apple IOS (iPad and iPhone)
- Office apps for Android
- Office 365 cloud with 1 TB storage
How many computers or tablets can I use this subscription on?
Each license allows you to run Office on up to five Mac or Windows computers. Additionally, Office 365 apps can be run on 5 Apple IOS (iPhone or iPad) or Android devices.
How do I sign-up?
Sign-up at the Office 365 eligibility site. Enter your @plts.edu or @ses.plts.edu email address and click Sign-up. A validation email will be sent to complete the sign-up procedure. It’s that simple. Once you have signed up, you may log in to the Microsoft Office portal, (http://portal.office.com) for device specific downloads, or use Office 365 cloud applications directly from your browser.
A computer is available for seminarians in the Giesy basement computer room. There is also a computer room available to seminarians without a computer on the first floor of the Mudd building on the PSR campus. For more information, please contact PSR at (510) 848-0528.