- Academic Dean
- Director of Contextual Education
- Associate Professor of Multicultural and Contextual Studies
- (510) 559-2736
Our multicultural God calls on the church to communicate the love of God in Christ—in, with, and under the rich diversity that embraces us all. Seminary days are brought to fruition as we teach, learn, and celebrate race, ethnicity and culture, one with another. Mutuality of experience intermingles with God’s divine presence; we’re prepared for great commission work in our diverse nation and world.
BA, MA, Latin American Studies, California State University, Long Beach; PhD, University of California, Irvine; MDiv, MA, Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary
Brief Professional History
Assistant Professor of Multicultural and Contextual Studies, PLTS, 1997–present; Director of Contextual Education and Associate Director, CLI, PLTS, 2003–present; Chaplain and Director of After-Care Program, Santa Clara County Corrections, 1996–2003; Interim Pastor, University Lutheran, Milpitas, 1995–1996; Adjunct Professor, PLTS, 1992–1996; Assistant Professor of Hispanic Literature, Vassar College, 1986–1991; Assistant Professor of Spanish Theatre, St. Olaf College, 1985–1986; Instructor, Spanish and Portuguese Dept., University of California, Irvine, 1980–1985
Select Special Service
Member, Steering Committee, ELCA’s Teaching Theologians of Color; member, Advisory Board on Leadership Development for the Evangelical Outreach and Congregational Mission Unit, ELCA; Participant, Roundtable for Public Ministry of the ELCA; Advisor to Evangelism Team, ELCA; Presenter, Cabinet of Executives, ELCA; Member, Teaching Theologians of Color, ELCA; Member, Public Church in Public Life, ELCA; Member, Lutheran Social Services of Northern California; Presenter, Hispanic Lutheran Identity Consultation, ELCA; Lecturer, “Christ, Convicts and the Church,” Earl Lectures, PSR; Member, Word and Sacrament Discipling Team, Sierra Pacific Synod; Chair, Multicultural Commission, Sierra Pacific Synod; Member, Task Force for Building a Multicultural Curriculum, Vassar College; Member, Editiorial Board, Revista de estudios Hispánicos, Vassar College; Faculty Seminar on International Studies: Liberation Theology, Vassar College
- “The Construction of Latina Theology.” Currents in Theology and Mission. Lutheran School of Theology, forthcoming in 2007.
- “Reading Ourselves into the Cross Story. Luther and United States Latinos.” In Cross Examinations. Readings on the Meaning of the Cross Today, edited by Marit Trelstad, 154-163. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2006.
- “Introduccion a La Disputacion de Leipzig-Informe de Lutero a Jorge Spalatin.” In Lutero al Habla, edited by Giacomo Cassese and Eliseo Perez Alvarez, 71-84. Mexico D.F.: Publicaciones El Faro S.A. de C.V., 2005.