International Students

We welcome international students and have had international students from many countries join our community.

In addition to the general requirements for admission to any of the PLTS programs in this catalog, international applicants must also meet the following requirements:

  • Applicants whose first language is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) unless this requirement is waived by the Admissions Committee. Details about where and when the test is given in various countries are available from the registrar’s office. Applicants whose TOEFL scores fall below 550 will be required to complete a course in English as a Second Language and to demonstrate that they have reached the requisite level of English proficiency before beginning their degree programs. The registrar’s office provides assistance to students who wish to enroll in the English language programs offered by the University of California, Berkeley.
  • Applicants must certify their capacity to meet round-trip travel costs, tuition, housing and personal expenses for the first year of their academic program in the United States. US. Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations governing F-1 student status do not permit PLTS to send the necessary I-20 form to the admitted student until this financial certification is on file with the seminary.

Financial aid and housing on campus are available but limited. International applicants seeking campus housing and/or financial aid are strongly advised to apply early for entry in the fall semester.

International applicants are encouraged to take advantage of theological education in their homelands or geographical regions before seeking additional education in the United States. The first theological degree leading to ordination is normally taken in one’s homeland. Persons holding a first theological degree at the bachelor’s level may apply for admission to the MTS degree program.

Student Visas

International applicants must provide documentation for the Certificate of Financial Support as part of the student visa process.  International applications are recommended to gather the documentation for the certificate while they are in the admission process, so that if they are admitted, the student visa process will proceed smoothly and in a timely manner.  The documentation and Certificate must be submitted together.  For questions about student visas, contact the Office of Admission.

Back to the application guidelines