Founders' Day and Luther Lectures
Every year, PLTS hosts two lectures on campus that deal with topics in contemporary theology. These lectures occur on a Wednesday morning and are concluded by worship and lunch. Lectures and accompanying panel discussions are usually live-streamed for wider distribution; recordings are located here (select the "On Demand" tab and then "Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary" as the category).
Founders' Day Lecture
On St. Matthew's Day, September 21, 1952, a worship service opened the first academic year of Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary. The annual Founders' day lecture occurs the Wednesday closest to St. Matthew's Day and features topics related to Lutheranism's particular challenges on the West Coast.
Speakers and Topics:
- 2021: Rev. Dr. David Vasquez-Levy, "Finding Level: Apocalypse, Prophets, and a Vision of the Possible"
- 2020: Bill McKibben and Rev. Dr. Melanie Harris. "Climate Justice, Racial Justice, and Divestment: The Call of the Church
- 2016: Pamela Gay and Ted Peters: "Space Studes and New Theology: God Out of the Box"
- 2015: Madeleine Forell Marshall: "Here and Now and Then and There: Postcolonial Possibilities for Mainline Protestantism in Contemporary California"
- 2014: Monica Jyotsna Melanchthon: "Migrant Interpretations: Reflections on the Bible and Tradition from Those on the Underside"
The Luther Lecture is made possible by the generosity of Mary Carlton Lull and the Lull Family in memory of President Timothy Lull to honor the Lull family connection with the Lutheran Church and with PLTS and to support the annual Luther Lecture and teaching or special lectures in the fields of systematic or historical theology. This lecture normally occurs in the spring semester.
- 2017: Else Marie Wiberg Pedersen: "Luther and Women" - lecture
- 2016: Cynthia Moe-Lobeda: "Climate Justice, Hope, and a Lutheran Ethic of Love Incarnate" - lecture | panel discussion
- 2015: George "Tink" Tinker
- 2014: Guillermo Hansen: "Money, Community, & Self: Luther's 'Apocalyptic' Insights during Times of Bifurcation" - lecture
- 2013: Thomas A. Brady, Jr.
- 2011: Robert D. Hawkins
- 2010: Kathryn A. Kleinhans
- 2009: R. Guy Erwin
- 2008: Jane E. Strohl
- 2007: Scott H. Hendrix
- 2006: Jean Bethke Elshtain
- 2005: Timothy J. Wengert
- 2004: Niels Henrik Gregerson
- 2003: Paul Chung
- 2002: H. George Anderson
- 2001: Kristen Kvam
- 2000: Steven Ozment
- 1999: Wolfhart Pannenberg
- 1998: John Dillenberger
- 1997: Heiko A. Oberman