Evangelism & Justice Concentration
This concentration is designed for students who have an interest in focusing more deeply on new ways of doing and being church that are welcoming of and in service to the unchurched and those who been marginalized culturally and socially. This will happen through a combination of classroom work, salon discussions, training sessions with ELCA staff, and networking with those engaged in such ministries within the larger church.
Students who complete the requirements for this concentration will graduate with a vision for development or redevelopment of congregations, basic training in how to do that specialized ministry, and a network of church colleagues who are engaged in the public witness of the love of Christ for all. This concentration will be helpful to students as they go through the regular ELCA first call placement process.
Many sites are considered first call sites precisely because they are in need of renewal and reenergizing. Having been exposed to Mission Re/Developer principles and experiences, the new pastor will be better equipped to lead the congregation to own commitment to renewing evangelical vision and transformational actions.
- A foundational January-Term course taught by Congregational and Synodical Mission Unit (CSM) staff of the ELCA at PLTS (every other year: next in January 2019)
- An elective course in the area of Evangelism from the GTU (must be approved by the Director of Contextual Education)
- An elective course in the area of Justice from the GTU (must be approved by the Director of Contextual Education)
- Participation in six (6) salon discussions and submission of a brief (1-2 page) reflection on the discussion and how the student will use ideas discussed in future ministry
- Internship placement in sites open to providing opportunities to explore possibilities in missional work through the student’s Evangelism and Justice Internship Project
Concentration Declaration Form
After you are admitted and enrolled at PLTS, you will need to submit this form to declare your concentration(s).
Additional Steps from Churchwide for Mission (Re-)Developer Training
For those who are interested in going directly into Developer/Redeveloper sites called as Mission Developer or Redeveloper by the CSM unit of the ELCA there are additional steps for the student to take. They are:
- Participation in a Mission Developer/Re-developer Training event (offered every 6 months by CSM)
- Participation at a college of Developers/Summit for Leaders in Evangelism and Justice event (arranged by CSM)
- Completion of the “Self-reflection and development for leadership in missional ministries” packet
- Twice-yearly meeting with a Churchwide representative or the DEM of the student’s Synod
- Screenings by synod of candidacy and the CSM unit of the ELCA for Mission Developer/Redeveloper for vocational potential (facilitated by the Director of Evangelical Mission [DEM] of synod of candidacy)