What is Safe Zone?
The Safe Zone Allies are a network of PLTS and Cal Lutheran faculty, staff and students who are supportive of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersexed, queer, and questioning (LGBTIQQ) students and underrepresented cultural/racial and religious groups. Allies are individuals who are willing to provide a safe haven, a listening ear, and support for people on their campus from an underrepresented group.
Safe Zone Project Goals
- To provide an avenue for students, faculty, and staff to visibly demonstrate their support for the presence of a *culturally and otherwise diverse campus community.
- To establish a campus-wide network of identifiable allies who can provide support, information, and assistance to members of the campus community who are coping with challenges growing out of their cultural identity.
- To develop a more public image of support of cultural diversity on our campuses.
- To educate members of the campus community about the special needs of members of the campus community who culturally identify in ways that tend to receive less public support.
- To foster an atmosphere of support for the academic, personal, social and professional success of all students, regardless of their cultural identity.
- To advance the academic communities progress toward a campus climate free of discrimination and harassment.
* A culturally and otherwise diverse campus community refers to one that is embracing of individuals from underrepresented groups, whether due to race, ethnicity, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or ability.
Where are Safe Zones at PLTS?
Safe Zone Allies display a "Safe Zone" sticker or button in their office or on their office or residence door.