Students are encouraged to bring their own computers and mobile devices to campus. All incoming students will be required to purchase Bible software; information will be given out during the course Introduction to Old Testament.
All students use technology throughout their time at PLTS. The following are tools, requirements, and specifications for all residential and distance students:
- Learning Management System: Moodle is designed to require basic web browsing skills.
- Browser Capability: Firefox or Chrome is recommended for all Moodle functions, especially watching lectures online. Safari is not compatible with Moodle.
- Learning Tools: VoiceThread allows for course sharing of images, videos, presentations, and related media. VoiceThread requires some skill and plenty of web-based support is available.
- Synchronous Contact: Zoom is a synchronous platform used for some course interactions and conferencing. Zoom requires some skill and plenty of web-based support is available.
- Minimum Computer Requirements:
Windows Mac OS X Operating System
OS X 10.8
OS X 10.9
OS X 10.10
OS X 10.11
Processor 3.0 GHz or higher 3.0 GHz or higher RAM 4 GB or higher 4 GB or higher Java Most recent version Most recent version
- Accessories: Webcam, speakers and microphone (or headset).
Bandwidth Recommended requirement is 50 Mbps; anything less could cause potential issues with lagging during Live Chat sessions. Use the following link to check you speed. Click here: http://speedof.me Streaming Sites or applications that use the internet like YouTube, Netflix, P2P, Spotify, or Pandora must be closed before starting your session. Connection You must be connected to the internet via an Ethernet cable or WiFi. Hotspots do not have the bandwidth to handle chat sessions WiFi Be as close to the router or access point as possible to get the best connection. Be aware that locations with free WiFi, i.e. Starbucks or Barnes & Noble, cannot provide enough bandwidth for chat sessions and should not be used.
- Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Accordance Bible software (you will receive information on discount purchasing when take Introduction to Old Testament)
- Anti-virus software
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
- Windows Media Player or QuickTime (optional)
Wireless Internet Access
The PLTS campus is covered by wireless internet. Wireless internet is accessible in all classrooms and common areas.
Free Microsoft Office 365
As an extension of Cal Lutheran’s campus agreement with Microsoft, Office 365 is now available free of charge to all Cal Lutheran students for use on personal devices.
What is included in Office 365?
- Office 2016 for PC
- Office 2016 for Mac
- Office apps for Apple IOS (iPad and iPhone)
- Office apps for Android
- Office 365 cloud with 1 TB storage
How many computers or tablets can I use this subscription on?
Each license allows you to run Office on up to five Mac or Windows computers. Additionally, Office 365 apps can be run on 5 Apple IOS (iPhone or iPad) or Android devices.
How do I sign-up?
Sign-up at the Office 365 eligibility site. Enter your @plts.edu or @ses.plts.edu email address and click Sign-up. A validation email will be sent to complete the sign-up procedure. It’s that simple. Once you have signed up, you may log in to the Microsoft Office portal, (http://portal.office.com) for device specific downloads, or use Office 365 cloud applications directly from your browser.
Computers are available for seminarians in the Work Room and Student Lounge. Free printing is available via the copier in the Work Room.