Preparing for Assignment
A vital aspect of preparing for assignment is ongoing self-assessment and conversation with family members, seminary representatives, and candidacy representatives about needs, gifts, and call.
Steps to Prepare
- Review the assignment process.
- Begin thinking about assignment paperwork [ Forms A, B, C and the Rostered Minister Profile Sample] at least six months prior to the deadline of your assignment.
- Make sure you have all the information you need for your ELCA Community Login where you will access the Forms A, B, C and Rostered Minister Profile. Note that if you cannot remember your Leader Key, you can obtain it from your synod.
- Review the deadlines for your assignment [which is either in early Fall or Spring].
- Start a draft of assignement paperwork a month prior to the Assignment Workshop. Remember to save your paperwork as you go along.
- Attend the seminary Assignment Workshop usually scheduled in early Spring semester. This is an opportunity to ask questions now that you have begun drafting your assignment paperwork.
- Complete and submit all assignment paperwork before the deadline and send to ELCA Assignment. Paperwork received after the deadline will not be accepted unless there are mitigating circumstances.
- A month prior to assignment, you will be contacted by the Seminary Candidacy Coordinator to discuss your preferences, so that they can best represent you at assignment. Remember that while assignment seeks to honor your preferences, your submission of assignment paperwork means you are open to serve anywhere in the whole Church.